Legislators at the state Capitol make decisions on a daily basis about issues and proposals that affect you, your business, or your clients. It is vital that our elected officials understand the impact and consequences legislative changes may have on the business community.
CPAs and accounting professionals are in a unique position to explain complex tax, financial, and economic issues. Legislators take input from their constituents very seriously, and your expertise can make a profound difference in the political process.
The objective of our Legislative Key Contact program is to develop a team of members to work with the CTCPA during the legislative session when issues arise.
We’ll provide the necessary information on topics when needed. If you have a relationship with a legislator or are willing to establish one, please join our efforts.
As a Legislative Key Contact, you will:
- Establish, build, and maintain a relationship with a legislator.
(It’s great if you have a pre-existing relationship, but if you don’t we can help you reach out and build one!)
- Let the legislator know you’re available to assist, offer feedback, or help find resources about accounting and finance questions that may arise.
- Call or meet with your legislator about key proposals or issues impacting the CPA profession when requested by CTCPA. (We’ll supply you with all the background information and research you’ll need.)
- Apprise the CTCPA about issues you’ve discussed with legislators.
- Attend CTCPA legislative events or other legislative updates and training.
Do you know a Connecticut legislator?
If you already have a working relationship with a legislator, please let us know if you are willing to serve as a Legislative Key Contact to that person.
If you don’t personally know a lawmaker, we will be happy to assist you in the process of developing the relationship. Political party affiliation isn’t an issue – your legislators represent the entire district, so you don’t need to be of the same political party to form a working relationship.
The program is an essential component of the CTCPA’s advocacy program and our contract lobbyist’s efforts.
Interested? Please let us know via the form below.
Have questions? Contact Alyssa Boerenko at email@example.com.