About Accounting Opportunities Experience
Accounting Opportunities Experience is a collaboration between state CPA societies and the AICPA to raise awareness of accounting career opportunities among high school students. The presentations, outreach, and support materials to students and teachers will work to raise awareness of the accounting profession, explain the exciting and challenging roles that CPAs play in the business world.
The Importance of High School Outreach
Many students are making career decisions before they enter college. Now, more than ever, it’s important to share with high school students the opportunities available with a career in accounting. The best way to do that is for them to hear from CPAs. Please see below for some tips and tricks on speaking to high schoolers and resources to make the most of your time in the classroom.
Tips for a Successful Presentation
- Personalize the template PowerPoint presentation with your name, title, company/firm, and pictures.
- Touch base with the teacher to confirm details and determine the best way for you to provide them with your PowerPoint presentation.
- If possible, ask the teacher to take a few photos of you during your presentation and share it with us! Please send your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We want to inspire students to learn more about opportunities in accounting. Being positive and genuine about your passion for the profession is essential.
- Share real-life stories – Help students understand what you are talking about by sharing your stories from work.
- Be honest – It’s fine to talk about the realities of the profession. If you work a lot of hours, you can mention that. However, try to help them see the positive side of the profession.
Resources for Speakers
- CTCPA-Specific PowerPoint Presentation – This customized version of the nationwide slide deck includes the CTCPA logo as well as a slide on how CTCPA can help students. Feel free to personalize the presentation as much as you'd like – especially the slide where you introduce yourself! There are presenter notes on each slide.
- Review of PowerPoint Slides and Presenter Tips – In this 13-minute video, Rebekah Olson, CEO of the Maryland Association of CPAs and an AICPA Student Recruitment Committee member, shares how she customizes and prepares her presentation for a classroom visit.
- Talking Points– If you would rather have a chat with the students (or if the technology in the classroom gives you trouble), that's fine! You can refer to the talking points in this document.
- Volunteer Resources – View more presenter tips, a sample on-demand presentation, and ideas on how to share your story.