Staff accountants have specific needs when working with Excel – needs that are often not met by their existing Excel knowledge. Chief among these are the needs to quickly summarize data, prepare accurate and aesthetically pleasing reports, and create accounting-centric calculations for elements such as depreciation, amortization, and interest. By participating in this eight-hour session, staff accountants will gain the essential skills they need to maximize their efficiency and accuracy when working with Excel.
This session begins with a quick overview of Excel best practices and then progresses rapidly into discussions that address items such as PivotTables, sophisticated formulas, Tables, formatting, and working with dates in Excel. Throughout the discussion, accounting-centric examples are used to reinforce key learning points. The session is taught in a “laptop-friendly” environment, and participants will have access to all the demonstration files used in the session. In sum, this seminar is a “must” for all staff accountants seeking to improve their efficiency and accuracy when working with Excel.
Fundamental knowledge of Microsoft Office Excel
Accounting and financial professionals who want to use the power of Excel PivotTables to analyze and summarize data.
- List five critical best practices associated with creating workbooks and construct workbooks that comply with these principles
- Utilize PivotTables and PivotCharts to quickly summarize and present data, without writing formula
- Build sophisticated formulas to assist with reporting and analysis, including formulas that use functions such as VLOOKUP, XLOOKUP, SUMIFS, CHOOSE, XNPV, XIRR, PMT, IPMT, ACCRINT, and TRIM
- Create Tables from ranges of Excel data and identify the primary advantages of working with Tables
- Apply formats quickly and easily to Excel reports and understand the importance of features such as the Accounting format, Accounting Underlines, Precision as Displayed, Center Across Selection, and Flash Fill
- Work with date-oriented data in Excel and create calculations – such as those involving depreciation expense and interest accruals – that depend upon the passage of time
Brian F. Tankersley, CPA.CITP, CGMA Director of Strategic Relationships, K2 Enterprises Farragut, Tennessee firstname.lastname@example.org
Brian Tankersley is a consultant based in Farragut, Tennessee. Brian is a frequent speaker at national continuing education courses for K2 Enterprises, and publishes a nationally recognized blog on accounting and technology (www.cpatechblog.com). He also writes a column and serves as the Technology Editor for The CPA Practice Advisor. Mr. Tankersley has over 20 years of professional experience, including accounting, auditing, technology, and education, and has been with K2 Enterprises since 2005.
Tankersley has been recognized annually as one of the “Top 25 Thought Leaders in Public Accounting Technology” for 2011-2014 by Cygnus Business Media. Brian has made presentations in 46 of the 50 US states and has served as a guest speaker for many professional accounting organizations across Canada. He received the Outstanding Discussion Leader Award from the Tennessee Society of CPAs in 2009 and 2013, and was recognized for writing the Article of the Year for the Tennessee CPA Journal in 2011. Brian has presented sessions at many national conferences, including AICPA TECH+/Practitioners Conference, The Sleeter Group’s Solutions Conference, Sage Insights, CCH Connections, and Thomson Reuters Synergy User Conference.
Brian is both a Certified Public Accountant and Certified Information Technology Professional, and has bachelors degrees in both Accounting and Finance, cum laude, from the University of Tennessee. He is a certified public accountant (Tennessee), a certified information technology professional (CITP), and a Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA). Tankersley also holds numerous vendor software certifications, and is a member of the Tennessee Society of CPAs and the American Institute of CPAs.
Brian and his family make their home in Farragut, Tennessee.
Non-Member Price $324.00
Member Price $199.00