In basic terms, Form 990 is the annual federal return that is required to be filed by all types of exempt organizations. The course takes the participant through the basics of Form 990. It covers the complete form and all the accompanying schedules. The course goes line by line through the Form 990 and offers explanations and tips for accurate completion. Participants will gain an understanding of the tax and practical points essential to completion of the Form 990 which has a 12-page core form and 16 schedules.
- Form 990 filing requirements
- Form 990 preparation sequencing and how to pull together necessary data
- Keys to getting Form 990 preparation correct the first time
- Addressing presence of related organizations
- Identification of managers and measurements of their compensation
- Form 990 versus books-and-records financial statement detail
- Disclosures of governance inputs and Boards' employ of policies
CPAs, attorneys, and nonprofit managers
- Identify the filing requirements for Form 990, Form 990-EZ, and Form 990-N.
- Determine best practices for completing the core form.
- Recognize risks in preparing Form 990 and identify certain reporting red flags.
- Appreciate 990 definitions and tax conventions employed in reporting on all aspects of financial statements (Parts VIII, IX, and X).
- Prepare for the most common Schedules that typically apply to 990 filers: identification of public charity status (Schedule A); reporting on donors (Schedule B); financial statement line items (Schedule D); reporting on fundraising events, gambling, and use of professional fundraisers (Schedule G); grant-making (Schedule I); and capture of property ("non-cash") contributions (Schedule M).
By registering for this program and, accordingly, receiving the eMaterials, you're acknowledging that you understand both the copyright restrictions on your eMaterials and the CTCPA cancellation policy.AICPA members take $30 off the registration fee
Thomas M. Sheets, CPA
Tom Sheets is a Certified Public Accountant with over 35 years’ experience in auditing and tax return preparation for businesses and individuals. He established his own consulting, tax, and accounting practice 19 years ago in Enid, Oklahoma. He provides consulting, auditing, and tax planning and preparation services for a wide variety of individual clients and industries. Mr. Sheets started with a Big Eight accounting firm in Tulsa, Oklahoma and then was with a large, local CPA firm in Enid, Oklahoma for 15 years. He has written and led seminars for leading providers of CPE for over 29 years on various topics including real estate accounting, construction accounting and tax, fraud, bank auditing, tax issues for nonprofit organizations, compilation and review, cash and tax basis financial statements, and nonprofit accounting and auditing.
Non-Member Price $429.00
Member Price $304.00