background image
After you've completed your education, passed all four parts of the CPA
Exam, gained your experience, and passed the Ethics're ready
to apply to be a CPA! Before you apply, decide how you will use your CPA
credential. In Connecticut, there are two choices: you may register your
certificate, or you may apply for a CPA license.
Initial CPA Certificate and Certificate Registration
Certificate Registration allows for limited use of the title "CPA." You may
use the CPA moniker on correspondence such as stationary, resumes,
personal checks and business cards. However, you are not allowed to sign
a tax return as a CPA or sign off on anything of a financial matter.
Certificate registration is a less costly option than a CPA license.
Initial CPA Certificate and CPA License
In Connecticut, a CPA license is required to open a public accounting
firm, sign audit reports and other functions, and allows the unlimited use
of the title "CPA." It is the most costly option and also requires you to
earn and report 40 hours of CPE each year.
You always have the option of stepping up or down among these options
as your career moves forward.
Required Forms and Paperwork
Download and complete the CPA Certificate Application
(SBA-11). Determine the appropriate fee amount from Section 1 of
this form and make check
or money order payable to "Treasurer State
of Connecticut".
Download and complete the Experience Verification Form (SBA-12).
Both of these forms (SBA-11 and SBA-12) can be found and downloaded
or also at
Collect your education transcripts from the school(s) showing your
undergraduate degree and additional credits that total 150 credit hours
The 150 credit hours provided must show credits as follows: 36-
Accounting, 30-Economics & Business Administration, 60-General and 24
credits in any credit subject.
Transcripts must be sent in a sealed envelope to the board. Note: If you
sat for CPA exam in Connecticut on or before April 26, 2007 you will not
need to submit transcripts.